Kaywanna Bore Water Board

Reports › Report to Ratepayers

Kaywanna Bore Water Board Chairman’s Annual Report - 23rd June 2021

The scheme has operated well going into 25 years of operation.

In my last report, there were pressure problems at the Kalala booster station on 12th June 2020. This was later found to be caused by algae in the impellors. On 1st July, Phil Sheridan and Cody came out and fitted a new CR3 pump on the northern side. They were unable to set the parameters. Andrew Williams came out at 4.30 pm and set the parameters. The pumps were running backwards. Correct pressure was restored.

On 10th July 2020, Bevan, Angus Sprott and I repaired a 50mm line (to VD2) that had been damaged by Sprott’s bulldozer. Later, Bevan and I cleaned out the meter at Kalala and got it operational. We also installed a large filter between the supply tanks and the pump to stop further algae contamination.

On 14th July, John Allen supplied his backhoe/loader to install concrete protectors/covers over the above-ground gate valves in the NE corner of “Waverley”. John, Zoe and I then went to the concrete pit across the road from the “Eaglebar” entrance. John excavated 16 metres of twin 90 mm line so we could remove the pressure reducing valve (PRV) in the concrete pit and also the pit itself. Twin double air valves (just downstream – 1349.5) were also removed as there are new air valves on the nearby newly installed above-ground gate valves. Gordon from “Binalong” joined us after lunch. New twin 90 mm line was installed and pressure tested. This was a big job.

On 16th July 2020, Angus Sprott damaged the 50 mm line near the break on 10th July. Rob and Angus repaired this. Further damage was done to the 40 mm line (near DE2) and again repaired by Sprotts. An invoice for parts used was not paid.

On 17th August 2020, John, Zoe, Gordon and I pumped out the receiving tank at the bore. Algae was cleaned and the tank re-commissioned. Kayne Spicer and Carl called to inspect the galvanized roof with a view to replacing it. Kayne agreed to do this but nothing more was heard from him.

Sometime during the winter, Telstra took it upon themselves to disconnect the phone line to the Kalala booster station. It remains disconnected but I expect the dialer would work if it had a connection.

On 1st September 2020, there were pressure problems at the Boogara booster station. John Thorn picked up and old refurbished CR2 pump from “Coorangy”. John Allen, Zoe and John Thorn fitted this old pump and the check valves were cleaned. The problem continued.

On 11th September, a new CR3 pump was found at “Arden Downs”. The pump removed on 1st September had been cleaned. These two pumps were installed in place of the existing pumps. A new large filter was installed in the tank outlet to stop further algae contamination. Pressure was restored but the pumps would not shut down even if the delivery line was closed.

On 14th September, I found the pumps would still not close down. I arranged for Laurie Cairns to come out and check the transducers. Laurie never arrived.

In early October, the new Case CX17C mini-excavator ($32,000 ex GST) was delivered from Kenway and Clark. The old Bobcat excavator was sold to S. Anderson for $500 (ex GST) and the write off of mechanical work.

On 23rd November 2020, the 40 mm line near VD1 was damaged by a deep ripper. D. Woods and Bevan English repaired this.

On 1st December, David Woods replaced a leaking riser on a double air valve (DAV 1318) on “Kalala”.

On 6th December there was a 33-hour blackout which shut down the system.

On 31st December 2020, I inspected the Boogara pumps which were still running constantly. Unable to get Laurie Cairns, I tested the transducers myself. They were OK. I checked the new filter but it was clean. I tapped the check valves and the pumps started shutting down as required. I also opened the water meter but it had been cleaned. The dialer was not working.

On 18th January 2021, I removed the dialer and took it to Goondiwindi Communications. Trent advised it may work but was out of date. Trent said he would provide a quote for a replacement monitoring system. This was never received.

On 25th January, I re-installed the dialer. The solenoid to switch for incoming calls was not working. However, a few days later it started to work again.

Since then, the scheme has given no further problems. We now have the correct power leads available if we ever wanted to connect a generator to any pumps.

On 19th May 2021, a 75 mm line was damaged by new fencing on “Jim Bruce”. This was repaired by Bill Davison.

On an annualized basis to 25th April 2021, the scheme has pumped 67 megalitres (77 ml last year) or 2.2 litres/second. The solar array produced 19,602 kw (last year 19,546 kw) with 5,849 kw exported to the grid (last year 5,612 kw). Total electricity consumed was 22,470 kw (last year 25,804 kw). These figures are below the long-term average (except solar generation).

There will be an election of directors in November. The process is somewhat complicated by Departmental compliance. A job description has been written – unlikely anyone wants the job but we need to keep it all going. You will recall that the option of privatizing the scheme is always available but our greatest concern is that we may have to have the lines surveyed to provide ‘right of entry’. The discussions about this issue (commenced in 2011) are all available for review.

I extend my thanks to board members and volunteers for their continued contribution to the management and operations of the scheme.

Geoff Woods

‹ Report Index

Kaywanna Bore Water Board
C/- Findex 24 Mclean Street GOONDIWINDI 4390