Kaywanna Bore Water Board

Reports › Report to Ratepayers - 10 May 2016

Kaywanna Bore Water Board Chairman’s Annual Report

The scheme has been operating now for almost twenty years and continues to perform quite well.

More special maintenance was carried out in the winter of 2015. In June, galvanized fittings were removed on ‘Eaglebar’, ‘Dunrobin’, ‘Kioma’ and ‘Kyawanna’. In July the phone dialer at ‘Boogara’ was repaired.

In August, more special maintenance was carried out at ‘Dunrobin’, ‘Molinda’ and ‘Kioma’. This included replacement of two large line gate valves on the ‘Kioma’/‘Box Yards’/‘Dunrobin’ corner.

The removing of galvanized fittings (special maintenance) was commenced in 2004 and this year less than 5% of galvanized fittings remain. I thank all who have assisted this consistent, difficult and long-term task. It has taken thousands of man-hours and thousands of kilometres in vehicle running, the large majority of which has been supplied voluntarily.

In November, Jim Spink reset a thermistor at Boogara and repairs were done on the delivery side of the pumps. In January 2016, the electrician replaced a circuit breaker at Boogara.

In April 2016, a distributor pump failed and was replaced at the main bore. These distributor pump exchanges are heavy and awkward and some type of gantry will be needed in the future.

During the year, the solar generator fencing was completed (July 2015) and various minor system resets, meter reading and yard maintenance was done. All labour (more than 150 hours) and travel was provided voluntarily. Thanks to Ewan Beaton and Donald Thorn who assisted Board members.

The solar generator has worked well since commissioning on 1st April 2015. According to the meters, approximately 26% of solar generation has been exported into the grid. The remaining 74% has been consumed at the main bore site. We have now had a full year of solar generation and the effect is shown below.

Over two twelve month periods to April 2015 (377 days and 79 ML pumped) and April 2016 (356 days and 82 ML pumped) the electricity cost for the main bore has decreased by $5,300, a reduction of almost 45%. Average daily consumption from the grid has dropped from 118 kilowatts to 72 kilowatts. If this is maintained the ‘pay back’ of the capital cost will be slightly less than five years which is better than the Board’s expectations.

The financial position remains sound.

I extend my thanks to board members for their continued contribution to the management and operations of the scheme.

Geoff Woods

‹ Report Index

Kaywanna Bore Water Board
C/- Findex 24 Mclean Street GOONDIWINDI 4390