Kaywanna Bore Water Board

Reports › Report to Ratepayers - 2nd May 2012

Kaywanna Bore Water Board Chairman's Annual Report

In my last report, I wrote of the Government’s proposed changes to our scheme in relation to recommendation 47 of the Webbe Weller Review. We met with the departmental (DERM) representatives in Goondiwindi on 24th May 2011 where they urged our Board to select a suitable non-statutory entity for our scheme to transition to.

We raised a number of questions which included security of access to the pipeline, concerns about rate collections and existing ratepayers who may want to exit from the scheme at some future time. The departmental representatives were unable to address these issues but said they would give further advice. However, the next communication was in mid June when we were urged to respond about a new entity by 30th June or risk having to fund a transition ourselves.

The board advised the department that we would seek legal advice and arranged a meeting at McCullough Robertson (solicitors) in Brisbane on 28th June 2011. Peter Fox, Barbara Bogiatzis (McCullough Robertson) and I represented the Board. Following that meeting, Ms Bogiatzis sent an email to the department outlining Kaywanna Bore Board’s concerns about any transition to a non-statutory entity. There has been no formal response from the department to date.

Peter Fox has spoken to Errol Ross (DERM) and it seems unlikely that our scheme will change entity. However, the department is considering changes to the accounting recording standards which could add considerable expense for our scheme. The full outcome of this saga remains somewhat unclear.

On 6th July 2011, an air valve riser was broken (probably by cattle) on “Eaglebar” fronting the main road. It was repaired by John Allen, John Thorn and John Mulckey.

Some special maintenance was carried out on “Warrabri” on 14th and 15th September 2011 by Glenn Hunt and me. It has been difficult to hire a mini excavator to do this work. More special maintenance needs to be done.

On 19th September, electrician Jim McKinlay replaced a tank level monitor on the receiving tank. On 29th November, Jim McKinlay had to replace a controller in the main control board.

In late December, problems developed at the Coorangy booster station. The number 1 distribution pump (a CR2) was replaced with a new CR3 pump. This did not eliminate the problems and David Woods and I found that the outlet pipe in the tank was partially blocked with algae. It was necessary to clean this manifold-type pipe with a wire brush. A new CR3 pump was purchased and the CR2 pump has been serviced. Both are in stock.

On a monthly inspection at the main bore in January, I found the cooling tank had been overflowing for some time and the system shut down due to a blackout. The cooling tank level monitor had to be replaced by Jim McKinlay the next day (18th).

On 20th January, John Allen, Bevan English and I removed the cooling tower from the cooling tank. The tower was beginning to collapse due to corrosion. We cleaned the cooling tank and rearranged the water inlet. A new roof for the tank was ordered from Pioneer tanks in Stanthorpe (the nearest agent). John Allen removed the debris.

On 31st March 2012, Nicholai Samootin (Pioneer Stanthorpe) and an assistant fitted a new aquaplate roof to the cooling tank. The inside trusses were painted with a bitumen-type coating to delay corrosion. This roof virtually eliminates all light from this tank. John Beare, Bevan English and David Woods cleaned the cooling tank prior to work commencing.

I inspected the tank on 14th April and found it to be now completely free of algae. The cooling tower had only reduced the water temperature by one degree centigrade so we do not expect problems with pump seals from the incrementally warmer water. The elimination of algae will be a significant advantage. However, the cooling tank needs sealing and I have the required sealant on hand awaiting cooler weather. This job will require water to be diverted directly into the receiving tank for a period of about two weeks while the sealant cures.

Meter readings at the main bore show a fairly consistent usage of around three litres per second. There is a discrepancy between the main bore meter and the sum of the four distribution meters.

The last year has seen more issues than normal but none have been of real concern to the Board other than the Webbe-Weller review. The scheme continues to function well overall.

The financial position of this board remains very sound.

I extend my thanks to board members.

Geoff Woods

‹ Report Index

Kaywanna Bore Water Board
C/- Findex 24 Mclean Street GOONDIWINDI 4390